Terne metal for corrosive environments
Roofinox tin-plated (Terne) is an austenitic stainless steel containing molybdenum with low carbon (316L) with an electroplated coating of tin on both sides. This tin coating is supplied in an unweathered state. The austenitic stainless steel owes its corrosion properties to the alloying elements chrome and molybdenum. The tin coating is in no way connected to the corrosion properties of the stainless steel.
• When exposed to the weather, the tin coating develops its typical matte grey patina
• Stainless austenitic steel, used for the substrate, is the ideal (long-lasting) roofing material due to its corrosion properties
• The higher alloy makes it more corrosion resistant
• The tin coating makes Roofinox tin-plated easy to solder
• 100 % natural and 100 % recyclable
• Easy to work with, even at temperatures below 40° F
Instructions for use / recommendations
• Roofinox tin-plated should be used in accordance with the latest technical standards, professional regulations and norms.
• No matter whether it is used for cold or warm roofs, Roofinox tin-plated is ideal for the roof itself and all associated flashings on the roof.
• When Roofinox tin-plated is used for standing seam roofs, all seams must be additionally sealed using seam sealant or similar waterproofing methods.
• Roofinox tin-plated is not recommended for vertical surfaces, wall-cladding and soffits because uniform patina and weathering cannot be guaranteed. Direct contact with aggregate concrete slabs, gravel, soil, humus etc. should be avoided. In both cases we recommend using Roofinox Classic or Plus 0.4 mm.
• Transport and storage: Roofinox tin-plated must be transported and stored in a dry, ventilated manner, otherwise the oxidation process will begin (see patination).
• Processing: Roofinox tin-plated is ideal for cold forming (folding, rounding, and roll-forming). For processing, suitable tools should be used (ideally made of stainless steel) and machines should be set for use with stainless steel. It should also be ensured that the sheets are handled with dry hands (dry gloves recommended), so no moisture gets onto the tin coating. Roofinox tin-plated can be processed at low temperatures.
• Soldering: Make sure that only orthophosphoric acid-based flux is used. It is also important to clean immediately with fresh water (or a cleaning agent recommended by the manufacturer) after soldering. The instructions on our information sheet on soldering should be followed.
• Patination: Patination is the process in which the metal reacts with the environmental influences. With Roofinox tin-plated it is
the tin coating that reacts. One of the most important factors is the contact with water and moisture. The result is usually a uniform patina, but this cannot be guaranteed because the building specific environmental influences are not known. Roofinox tin-plated can therefore develop light yellow stains on delivery, which, however, will patinate further with regular water contact. The same counts for gray or black spots which are emerging before delivery or with the first patination. This is part of the point-shaped patination process of Roofinox tin-plated. When patination is complete, Roofinox tin-plated will have adjusted to a more uniform appearance in regards to the overall look, ensuring a homogenous, matte grey finish.
• Cleaning: The surface of Roofinox tin-plated should be cleaned with great care as mechanical cleaning can remove the tin coating, and the bare stainless steel might become visible. This bare, uncoated surface will not repatinate and remain exposed as well as shiny or silverish.
Dimensions 19.7“ 24.6“ 39.4“
Substrate alloy 439 316L 439 316L 439 316L
Material no. ASTM TYPE 316L according to ASTM A240
Code names D (DIN/EN) 1.4404 / X 2 CrNiMo 17-12-2
USA (ASCM) 316L
(in % by weight)
C Cr Mo Ni Mn
min. – 16.5 2.0 10.0 –
max. 0.03 18.5 2.5 13.0 2.0
Physical properties Density
Modulus of elasticity Mean coefficient of thermal expansion;
ksi 68°F ksi 212°F in/in/°Fv 68°F in/in/°Fv 212°F
.289 (8.0) 29 x 106 29 x 106 8.9 x 10-6 8.9 x 10-6
at room temp. to EN 10 088-2
Dimensions Range 0.2% yield strength
s ≤ .24“
min 34.8 min 76.9 min 40 max 95
BTU/hr/ft/°F 68 °F
Specific heat capacity
8.7 0.12 29.5 x 10-6 not present2)
2) Roofinox 316L may be slightly magnetic in quenched condition.
Magnetisability increases with increasing strain hardening.
Surface finish electroplated coating of tin
Product forms cold-rolled wide strip, slit strip, cut sheets.
The marked side ist the A-side of the coil.
Edge finish cut edges
Tolerances Tolerances according to EN 10259; without or with lowest necessary edge waving, will not influence bending or profiling; low warping
Specific Data Roofinox tin-plated (Terne) 316L